Department of International Business, Near East University, Turkey
Department of International Business, Near East University, Turkey
Objective: The study aims is to evaluate and determine to what extent work-family conflict affected the quality of work life of doctors working in the Public and University hospitals located within the borders of Tokat province.
Method: The study included nurses within the borders of Tokat province. The study included 292 nurses, 184 (63%) females and 108 (37%) males who were selected using the random sampling method. The Work Quality scale and Work-Family Conflict scale were used in the study. Correlation analysis was used to analyze the data. In the study, the data obtained using the face-to-face survey method were analyzed and interpreted on the SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) program.
Findings: Of the participants 63% were female and 37% male. The rate of married and single participants was 58.9% and 41.1%. The mean age of the study sample was 34.4 years. A correlation analysis was made between work-family conflict and work life quality, a significant relationship was found between them (p <0.05).
Result: According to analysis results, it was concluded that the role conflict of individuals in work and family areas was inevitable and the conflict adversely affected the work and life satisfaction of individuals. As job satisfaction increases, individuals' quality of life increases and they contribute positively to the health, psychological status and social environment of people.
- Adıgüzel, O, Erdoğan, A, Batur, Z, Oğlakkaya, D and Yalçın, B 2014. Work life quality and organizational appeal in healthcare workers. 2. Organizational Behavior Congress Notices Book; 621-32.
- Alçelik, A, Deniz, F, Yeşildal, N, Mayda, AS, Şerefi, BA 2005. Evaluation of health problems and life habits of nurses working in AIBU Medical Faculty Hospital. TAF Preventive Medicine Bulletin, 4: 55-66.
- Anafarta, N 2011. The Relationship between work-family conflict and job satisfaction: A structural equation modeling (SEM) approach. International Journal of Business and Management, 6:168-77.
- Anderson, R, Branislav, M, Vermeylen, G, Lyly-Yrjanainen, M and Zigante, V 2009. Second European quality of life survey—overview. Dublin: European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions.
- Burke, RJ 2002.Work, work stress and women's health: occupational status effects. Journal of Business Ethics, 37: 91-102.
- Cinamon, RG and Rich, Y 2005.Work‐family conflict among female teachers. Teaching and Teacher Education, 21: 365– 78.
- Çatak, T and Bahçecik, N 2015. Determining the quality of work life and factors affecting nurses. MUSBED, 5: 85-95.
- Çelmeçe, N and Işıklar, A 2015. Examination of the relationship between healthcare workers’leadership perceptions and work life quality. The Journal of Academic Social Science, 3: 202-16.
- Çelmeçe, N and Işıklar, A 2016. An examination of health workers' levels of job satisfaction by several variables. Cumhuriyet Nursing Journal, 5: 50-7.
- Çelmeçe, N and Işıklar, A 2018. Mediation role of organizational commitment in the effect of work quality and leadership support in work performance. Social Mentality And Researcher Thinkers Journal, 4: 597-605.
- Çetin, C, Urfalioglu, F and Uysal, B 2008. Work-family conflict and organizational results: A research in the banking sector. 16. Management and Organization Congress, Istanbul.
- Davi, RK and Vel Rani, S 2017. Middling role of social support on work family conflict and role salience among working women in IT sector. Electronic Government an International Journal, 13.
- Efeoğlu, İE 2006. The effects of work-family life conflict on job stress, job satisfaction and organizational commitment: A research in the pharmaceutical industry.Cukurova University Institute of Social Sciences Ph.D. Thesis.
- Gareis, KC, Barnett, RC, Ertel, KA and Berkman, LF 2009. Work-family enrichment and conflict: Additive effects, buffering or balance? Journal of Marriage and Family, 71: 696-707.
- Kanbur, A 2015. A research for exploring the social ıntelligence as a way of coping with work-family (WFC)/family-work (FWC) conflict. Journal of Business Research-Turk, 5(7): 145-67.
- Kang, LS, Deepak, K 2014. Work-family conflict & quality of work life among veterinary doctors. Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 49: 707-21.
- Kılıç, R and Keklik, B 2012. A study on the impact of quality of life and motivation on health workers. Afyon Kocatepe University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences Journal, 14: 147-160.
- Kıraç, R, Demir, RN and Kahveci, Ş 2018. Effects of Work-Family Conflict on Work Life Quality. 2nd International Social and Educational Sciences Symposium - 22-24 October - Konya, Turkey.
- Kossek, EE and Lee, KH 2017. Work-family conflict and work-life conflict. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Business and Management, October: 1-23.
- Mache, S, Bernburg, M, Vitzthum, K, Groneberg, DA, Klapp, BF and Danzer, G 2015. Managing work–family conflict in the medical profession: working conditions and individual resources as related factors. BMJ Open 2015;5:e006871. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006871.
- Md-Sidin, S, Sambasivan, M and Ismail, I 2010. Relationship between work-family conflict and quality of life: An investigation into the role of social support. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 25: 58-81.
- Mortazavi, S, Pedhiwala, N, Shafiro, M and Hammer, L 2009. Work-family conflict related to culture and gender. Communitiy, Work & Family, 12: 251-73.
- Nanjundeswaraswamy, TS and Swamy, DR 2013. Review of literature on quality of worklife. International Journal for Quality Research, 7: 201-214.
- Netemeyer, RG, Boles, JS and Mcmurrian, R 1996. Development and validation of work-family conflict and family-work conflict scales.Journal of Applied Psychology, 80: 400-9.
- Nkulenu, AO 2015. Effect of Work-Family Conflict on Quality of Work-Life in Ghana. European Journal of Business and Management, 7: 52-61.
- Powell, NG, Francesco, AM and Ling, Y 2009. Toward culture-sensitive theories of the work-family interface. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 30: 597-616.
- Sabil, S and Marican, S 2011. Working Hours, Work-family conflict and work-family enrichment among professional women: A Malaysian case. International Conference on Social Science and Humanity, 5: 206-9.
- Sirgy, M J, Efraty, D, Siegel, P and Lee, D J 2001. A new measure of quality of work life (QWL) based on need satisfaction and spillover theories. Social Indicators Research, 55: 241-302.
- Sirgy, M J, Reilly, N, Wu, J and Efraty, DA 2008. Work-life ıdentity model of well-being: towards a research agenda linking quality-of-work-life (QWL) programs with quality of life (QOL). Applied Research in Quality of Life, 3: 181-202.
- Tekindüz, S, Kurtuldu, A and Öksüz, S 2015. The relationship between work-family life conflict, job satisfaction and job stress. Journal of Politics, Economics and Management Studies, 3: 27-42.
- Trachtenberg, VJ, Anderson, AS and Sabatelli, MR 2009. Work-home conflict and domestic violence: Atest of a conceptual model. Journal of Family Violence, 24: 471-83