Near East University,Cyprus
Gazi University Faculty of Health Sciences,Ankara, Turkey
Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
All living beings are in need of living in, and acting together with the members of, a group or a community in order to meet their desires and needs. These communities and groups, on the other hand, need leaders to lead and direct them to achieve a harmonious co-existence and to create a community that enjoys success. The characters and temperaments of the leaders play a role of great importance in that whether or not they can, for example, empower the humans in society and achieve a flourishing community. The main purpose of this study is to determine whether there is a relationship between the character and temperament of an individual with his/her leadership aspects.In this study that was conducted in relational screening model, we used socio-demographic data capture form, scales concerning ethical conduct, organisational culture and justice as well as Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI).The study was realized with the employees of two local governments in two districts in the province of Bursa in Turkey. The study found that while the average scores of those working in managing positions were statistically significant high in the dimensions of ‘’persistence’’ and ‘’self-transcendence’’, those employed by a sub-contractor had statistically significant high average scores in the dimensions of ‘’self-directedness’’ and ‘’cooperativeness’’ (p<0,05). While the average score of men in the dimensions of ‘’novelty seeking’’, ‘’harm avoidance’’, ‘’reward dependence’’, ‘’self-directedness’’ and ‘’cooperativeness’’ were statistically higher than those of women, women had statistically higher average scores than men in the dimensions of ‘’persistence’’ and ‘’self-transcendence’’ (p<0,05).
Key words: socio-demographic data, ethical conduct, organisational culture, justice, character, temperament
- Arslanta, C. ve Pekdemir, I. (2007). Dönüşümcü Liderlik, Örgütsel Vatandaşlık Davranışı ve Örgütsel Adalet Arasındaki İlişkileri Belirlemeye Yönelik Görgül Bir Araştırma, (An Empirical Study Investigating the Relationship between Transformational Leadership, Organisational Citizenship Behaviour and Organisational Justice) İstanbul University’s Social Sciences Journal, 1, 261-285.
- Bozkaya, E. (2013). Örgüt Çalışanlarının Kişilik Özellikleri İle Örgütsel Bağlılıkları Arasındaki İlişkinin İncelenmesi: Hiyerarşik Yapısı Yüksek Bir Kurumda Uygulama (An Investigation of the Relationship between the Personality Traits and Organisational Loyalty of Employees in an Organisation)Balıkesir University, Social Sciences Institute, Department of Management Post Graduate Thesis, Balıkesir
- Colquitt, J.A. (2001). On the Dimensionality of Organizational Justice: A Construct Validation of a Measure”, Journal of Applied Psychology, 86(3), 386-400.
- Kara, Y. (2006), “Okullardaki Örgütsel Kültürün Okul Yöneticilerinin Etik Davranışları Üzerindeki Etkisi” (The Effects of Organisational Culture in Schools on the Ethical Conduct of School Administrators), Unpublished Post Graduate Thesis, İstanbul: İstanbul University, Social Sciences Institute.
- Köse, S., Sayar, K., Ak, D., Aydın, N., Kalelioğlu, Ü., Kırpınar, D., Reeves, R. A.,Przybeck, T. R. and Cloninger, C. R. (2004). Temperament and Character Inventory (TCI in Turkish):Validity, Reliability and Factor Structure. Clinical Psychopharmacological Bulletin. 14(3), 107-131.
- Mamatoğlu, N. (2010). Lider Davranışları Algıları ve Örgütsel Kimliklenme Boyutları Arasında Çalışanın Kişilik Özelliklerinin Düzenleyici Rolü (The Regulating Role of Employees between the Perceptions of Leaders’ Conduct and Organisational Identification); Turkish Psychology Journal, 25(65), 82-97.
- Özmen, Ö.N.T., Arbak, Y. ve Özer, P.S. “Adalete Verilen Değerin Adalet Algıları Üzerindeki Etkisinin Sorgulanmasına İlişkin Bir Araştırma” (A Study Investigating the Effect of the Value attached to Justice on the Justice Perception), Journal of Ege Akademik Bakış, 7,1, 2007, 17-33.
- Özer, Y. (2011). Örgüt Çalışanlarının Kişilik Özellikleri İle Örgütsel Bağlılıkları Arasındaki İlişkinin İncelenmesi (An Investigation on the Relationship between the Personality Traits of Employees and their Organisational Loyalty). Maltepe University Social Sciences Institute Department of Psychology Post Graduate Thesis, İstanbul.
- Pehlivan, İ. (2002). Yönetsel Mesleki ve Örgütsel Etik (Managerial, Professional and Organisational Ethics), Ankara: Pegem A Publishing House, 3rd Edition.
- Şengül, C. M. (2008). Örgüt Çalışanlarının Kişilik, İş Tatmini ve Örgütsel Bağlılıkları Arasındaki İlişkinin İncelenmesi (An Investigation on the Relationship between the Personality of Employees, Job Satisfaction and Organisational Loyalty), Celal Bayar University Social Sciences Institute, Department of Business Management Doctorate Thesis, Manisa.
- Taşdöven. H.,Emhan. A.,Dönmez. M. (2012).Liderlik Tarzı ve Mizaç-Karakter İlişkisi: Polis Teşkilatında Bir Uygulama (Relationship between Leadership Style and Temperament-Character: A Case in the Police Department) Journal of Management and Economy. 19. 2