1.Near East University, [email protected]
2.Near East University, [email protected]
3.Bursa Technical University, [email protected]
The main purpose of this article is to examine the development of foreign trade of automotive industry of countries such as USA, China, India, Japan and Germany from 1999 to 2017 by implementing panel data analysis. The variables are export volume, automobile production capacity and agricultural production capacity. Data is obtained from the official website of the World Bank (2019) and the International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers OICA (2019). Panel data analysis is applied from 1999 to 2017 (annual data) by taking into account the automobile and agricultural production volume which are determined as independent variables and export volume is determined as dependent variable for the USA, Germany, France, China, India and Japan. According to results on the basis of Heckscher Ohlin theory, USA, Germany and France begin to switch from capital-intensive sector to labour-intensive sector which is empirically proved through panel data analysis. On the other hand, China, India and Japan enter in the process of capital-intensive (automobile industry) sector instead of labour-intensive sector (agriculture industry) which is empirically demonstrated through panel data analysis as well. When the fragmentation theory is taken into account, the western countries draw back due to the factors of lowering production costs, lowering prices and advancing in production technology in terms of know-how, which is empirically proved by PDA. Furthermore, when the fragmentation theory is taken into account, the eastern countries' strategy of dispersing into different countries in terms of production has been benefited by obtaining knowledge and technology. Therefore, they increase their market share by producing value-added goods. In the conclusion, the processes who are leading to bankrupt the companies getting into act in capital intensive sectors especially such automotive are approached through the discussion about projections of macroeconomic policies of countries.
Keywords: International Trade, Heckscher Ohlin Theory, Fragmentation Theory, Automotive Industry, Comparative Advantage Theory.
Jel Codes: P33, O24, L6, O24.
- Amighini, A. A. (2012). China and India in the international fragmentation of automobile production. China Economic Review, 23(2), 325-341.
- Anderson, J. E., & Van Wincoop, E. (2003). Gravity with gravitas: a solution to the border puzzle. American economic review, 93(1), 170-192.
- Baltagi, B. (2004). Econometric Analysis of Panel Data. 3rd ed. NewYork: John Wiley and Sons.
- Basarir, A., Karli, B., & Bilgic, A. (2006). An evaluation of Turkish Agricultural production performance. Int. J. Agric. Biol, 8(4), 511-515.
- Deardorff, A. V. (2001). Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models. The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, 12(2), 121-137.
- Dünya Bankası (2019). Exports of goods and services (% of GDP), https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS, (12.09.2019).
- Dünya Bankası (2019).Agriculture & Rural Development (Tarım & Kırsal Gelişme) https://data.worldbank.org/topic/agriculture-and-rural-development?locations=ET, (11.09.2019).
- Gi̇rgi̇ner, N., & Çavdar, Z. (2007). En Uygun Fiyatlandırma Stratejisinin Grup Karar Vermeli Analitik Hiyerarşi Süreci İle Değerlendirilmesi: Türkiye Otomotiv Sektörü İçin Bir Uygulama. Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, 22(257), 101-127.
- Hummels, D. L., Rapoport, D., & Yi, K. M. (1998). Vertical Specialization and the Changing Nature of World Trade. Economic Policy Review, 4(2), 79-99.
- Jones, R., Kierzkowski, H., & Lurong, C. (2005). What does evidence tell us about fragmentation and outsourcing?. International Review of Economics & Finance, 14(3), 305-316.
- Imran, M., Jian, Z., Haque, A., Urbański, M., & Nair, S. (2018). Determinants of Firm’s Export Performance in China’s Automobile Industry. Sustainability, 10(11), 4078- 5001.
- Karaatlı, M., Helvacıoğlu, Ö. C., Ömürbek, N., & Tokgöz, G. (2012). Yapay Sinir Ağları Yöntemi İle Otomobil Satış Tahmini. Uluslararası Yönetim İktisat ve İşletme Dergisi, 8(17), 87-100.
- Katircioglu, S. T. (2006). Causality between agriculture and economic growth in a small nation under political isolation: A case from North Cyprus. International Journal of Social Economics, 33(4), 331-343.
- Nakiboğlu, G. (2007). Tersine Lojistik: Önemi Ve Dünyadaki Uygulamaları. Gazi Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 9(2), 181-196.
- Nishitateno, S. (2013). Global production sharing and the FDI–trade nexus: New evidence from the Japanese automobile industry. Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, 27, 64-80.
- Sardy, M., & Fetscherin, M. (2009). A Double Diamond Comparison of the Automotive Industry of China, India, and South Korea. Competition Forum, 7(1), 6-16.
- Schumpeter, J. (1942). Creative Destruction. Capitalism, Socialism and Democracy, 825, 82-85.
- Shelburne, R. C. (2002). Bilateral intra-industry trade in a multi-country Helpman-Krugman model. International Economic Journal, 16(4), 53-73.
- Shenkar, O., Luo, Y., & Chi, T. (2014). International Business. Routledge. Third Edition.
- OICA (2019) International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers. Car Production Statistics, http://www.oica.net/category/production-statistics/2005-statistics/, (15.09.2019).
- Ozun, A., & Turk, M. (2010). Leading economic determinants of foreign trade volume in Turkish Agriculture Sector. Agricultural Economics Review, 11(389-2016-23438), 87-96.
- Özdağoğlu, A. (2013). Üretim İşletmelerinde Lazer Kesme Makinelerinin Promethee Yöntemi İle Karşılaştırılması. Uluslararası Yönetim İktisat ve İşletme Dergisi, 9(19), 305-318.
- Özdağoğlu, A. (2012). Üretim Yapan İşletmeler için Hidrolik Giyotin Alternatiflerinin TOPSIS Yöntemi ile İncelenmesi. Ege Akademik Bakış, 12(4), 549-562.
- Özdemir, A. İ., & Deste, M. (2009). Gri İlişkisel Analiz İle Çok Kriterli Tedarikçi Seçimi: Otomotiv Sektöründe Bir Uygulama. Istanbul University Journal of the School of Business Administration, 38(2), 147-156.
- Özkul, M. (2011). Küresel Ürün Ağlarındaki Yeniden Yapılanma Ve İmalat Sanayi Üretiminde Değişen Dengeler. Sanayi ve Ticaret Bakanlığı Yayınları, 668-678.
- Ricardo, D. (1817). On the Principles of Political Economy, and Taxation. Cambridge University Press.
- Thakkar, Y., & Jain, A. (2018). A Study of the Reasons of Decline in Automobile Exports of South Korea. International Journal of Advance Research and Development, 3(1), 192-195.
- Wad, P. (2009). The automobile industry of Southeast Asia: Malaysia and Thailand. Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, 14(2), 172-193.
- Yirmibeşoğlu, G. (2017). Globalization and International Trade. International Journal of Social Sciences and Education Research, 3(5), 1787-1796.
- Yurdakul, M., & Ic, Y. T. (2004). AHP Approach in the Credit Evaluation of the Manufacturing Firms in Turkey. International Journal of Production Economics, 88(3), 269-289.