ANAS Institute of Folklore
The functional semantics of mythological characters in the gene-poetical system of folk poem
In the formation, creation of the world the mythological Goy (Sky), Yer (Earth) and the creation pantheon belonging to the under-Earth worlds and spirits express the nature, ancestor and other cults with different mythical characters. The functional semantics of these forces with creative, protective and marginal characters in the gene-poetical system of folk poem change according to the genre elections. The folk poem gains the symbolic meaning separately in traditional Turkic idea and Islamic context which have the specific mythological characters in its lyrics.
Key words: song, character, mythological, symbol, ritual, cult, semantics, genre, mood
In the Azerbaijani language
- Azerbaijan Folklore Anthology, Book-4. Shaki folklore (Compilers: H.Abdulhalimov, R. Gafarli, O.Aliyev, V.Aslan), Baku, 2000, 497 p.
- Azerbaijan Folklore Anthology, Book-12. Zangazur folklore (Collectors: V. Nabioglu, M.Kazimoglu, A.Asgar. Compilers: A.Asgar, M.Kazimoglu), Baku, publishing house “Sada”, 2005, 463 p.
- Azerbaijan Folklore Anthology, Book-17. Mughan folklore (Compiler, editor: H.Ismayilov), Baku, publishing house “Nurlan”, 2008, 447 p.
- Azerbaijan Folklore (Anthology) In 2 Books, Book-1. (Compiler: Bahlul Abdulla, Editor: Jalal Baydili), Baku, publishing house “XXI-Yeni Neshrler Evi”, 2001, 376 p.
- Legends of the world nations. Baku, Ganjlik, 1990, 504 p.
- Ceremonies, traditions, praises (Collector, introduction and notes are by Prof. Azad Nabiyev). Baku, Ganjlik, 1993, 352 p.
- Beydili J. Turkish mythology encyclopedic dictionary. (Translator: Erel Erjan), Yurt Kitab-publishing house, 2004, 390 p.
- Buyukokutan A. Investigation on folk literature and folklore examples of Mugla region Alevi Turkmens (dissertation work) Balikesir University, Institute of Social Sciences, The Turkish language and literature branch, Balikesir, 2005, 511 p. // http://turuz.com/az/book/title/mughla-yoresi-alevi-turkmenlerinin-halk-edebiyati-ve-folklor-urunleri-uzerine-bir-arashdirm
- Yavuzer H. “Cosmos in Shamanism and the world descriptions” National Folklore Journal, 51, 1997, p. 50-56 // http://www.millifolklor.com/tr/sayfalar/icindekiler/35.htm
- Chulpan Zaripova Chetin. Tatar Turks’ traditions about the seasons. Journal “Investigations of Turkic World”, (November-December, 2004) p. 123-143. http://www.turukdergisi.com/PdfMakaleGoster.Aspx?ID=49
11.Barthes Roland. Mythologies. Paris, Editions du Seuil, 1957, 239 p.
12. Coquet, J. C, Sémiotique littéraire. Contribution à l'analyse sémantique du discours, Marne, 1973.
13.Dundes A. The Study of Folklore. Prentice-Hall, 1965, 481 р.
14. Greimas A.J. Semantique structural. P., 1966, 262 р.
15. Cl.Levi-Strauss. The Structural Study of Myth // Journal of American Folklore, 1955, vol.68, № 270, p.428-444
16. Moriarty M., Roland Barthes, Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1991, 212 p.
17. Zavarzadeh M. The mythopoetic reality: The postwar Amer. nonfiction novel. Urbana, 1976. IX, 262 p.
Persons giving information:
18. Huseynova Madina Bayram gizi, Fuzuli region, Mahmudlu village, date of birth 1926, uneducated (Now lives in Ahmadbayli village of Fuzuli region)
19. Farzaliyeva Shovkat Gulu gizi. Zangilan region, Amirkhanli village, date of birth 1926, educated.